Who are the biggest ‘influencers’ in western Christianity today? Who are the real movers and shakers in the Christian public sphere? There’s only one guaranteed place to turn to for real answers when it comes to social influence: Facebook!
So here’s the top 10 Christian icons according to Facebook groups (…well the top 10 I could find, or chose to find anyway).
1. Rob Bell – Rob is the undisputed heavyweight of Christian Facebook leaders. His Nooma/Rob Bell group weighs in with 2775 members.
2. John Piper – The Pope of the Reformed tradition runs with a 1423 member group.
3. Donald Miller – Christian author of the moment Donald Miller weighs in with a group of 1203 members.
4. Mark Driscoll – The future Pope of the Reformed tradition ‘resurges’ into 4th spot with a group of 1059 members.
5. John MacArthur – Spreading Grace to You MacArthur rolls in at 5th with a group of 647 members.
6. Brian McLaren – Everyone is going to hell with Brian McLaren in this group of 624 members.
7. CJ Mahaney – If you’re Reformed and Charismatic then he’s your man! CJ whips out a group of 425 members.
8. Tim Keller – The missional maestro from New York racks up a group of 360 members.
9. Matt Chandler – The local ‘Village’ pastor steps up to the big league with a group of 264 members.
10. Benny Hinn – Through an absolute miracle Benny wiggles his way into the top 10 with a group of 215 members (although I couldn’t quite figure out if the group was an appreciation group or something he shouldn’t show to his family).
And there you have it – on the flawless authority of Facebook. (PS – let me about any other interesting ‘Christian Icon’ groups).